Introducing The Roots Initiative
Not Far From The Tree Seeking New Program Working Group Members
About Not Far From The Tree (NFFTT)
Not Far From The Tree is an award-winning Toronto-based fruit picking project, a project of MakeWay Charitable Society. Our mission is to harness the power of fruit trees to create healthy, resilient, sustainable, and connected communities across Toronto. We empower Torontonians to pick and share fruit that would otherwise fall to waste, while providing opportunities to connect more intimately with their neighbours, environment, and food system. We act as, and empower people to be, stewards of the urban orchard to ensure its benefits can be realized for many generations to come. We envision a Toronto where everyone has access to the urban harvest as part of a resilient, local food system that builds community, and is based on the value of shared abundance.
NFFTT is seeking members to join the new Program Working Group, with responsibility for helping grow and maintain our picking program.
Together, as members of the Program Working Group, they are committed to advancing NFFTT’s mission by providing strategic guidance, supporting programming operations, and acting as a champion of our work. They are open to contributing to NFFTT’s culture of sharing in a variety of ways, and they have expertise and/or passion for sustainable food systems, food security, or community building. We’re looking for collaborative people with a knack for seeking new opportunities and innovative ways to ensure long-term sustainability, build organizational capacity and productivity, and further our mission in the years ahead.
The ideal candidate for the Committee has strong knowledge of ongoing activities in the city relevant to NFFTT’s operations, community assets. They also have a community in the neighbourhoods NFFTT picks fruit in.
- Support with pre-season administration and post-season wrap up (some examples: training workshop support and moving the cargo bikes/equipment sets)
- Help NFFTT find new storage locations for cargo bikes and equipment
- Work with NFFTT to implement and carry out an outreach strategy, identify new opportunities, and occasionally table at events
Committee Member Expectations
- Build a collegial working relationship with other members and contribute to an effective team
- Provide advice on the strategic direction and guidance to the project as it grows and develops
- Act as an ambassador for the organization within your networks and during NFFTT events
- Participate actively in Program Working Group work and volunteer for and willingly accept assignments and complete them thoroughly and on time
- Stay informed about committee matters, prepare well for meetings, and regularly attend monthly Committee meetings (twice monthly during picking season/ June – October)
- Actively participate in Committee’s efforts outside of meeting times
- Can commit up 5-10 hours/month
- Previous volunteer experience with NFFTT as a pick leader, picking member or tree registrant, storage partner.
If you love our city, share our mission, and have the interests we are looking for, we’d love to hear from you! Please send your resume and cover letter, as well as any questions, to the Program Manager, Rachel Lissner, at email@example.com with the subject line “Program Working Committee Application” to tell us what makes you a good fit for this role.
If interested please apply by March 31, 2021
Not Far From The Tree is strongly committed to creating a diverse workplace environment and we welcome and encourage applications from folks of marginalized identities, and the communities we serve. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Not Far From The Tree will provide accommodation during all steps of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. Please advise us if you need any accommodation.
Gingko Picking Update