Do you love fruit?
Excited to transport it to our 35 partner agencies across Toronto?
Are you a natural leader who enjoys meeting new people?
You sound just right for our Supreme Gleaner team!
Supreme Gleaners are specially-trained volunteers who go the extra mile to make the harvest happen by leading fruit picks and transporting fruit and equipment to our 35 partner agencies across the city.
- Friendly and comfortable in a leadership role
- Reliable and responsible
- Comfortable riding a bike or driving in the city
- Lead fruit picks during Toronto’s fruit harvest season (runs from June to October)
- For each pick, you will:
- pick up equipment from a neighbourhood storage hub and a cargo bike if you’re using it;
- make your way to a fruit tree within the same neighbourhood;
- greet volunteers and lead the pick, keeping things friendly and safe; and
- deliver fruit to a nearby partner agency and return equipment to storage.
Our fruit picks last up to two hours each and the Supreme Gleaner shift is usually 3.5 to 4 hours.
We’re committed to environmental sustainability and using bikes as our main mode of transport, but we also understand that not everyone is comfortable navigating the streets of Toronto in a cargo bike. As an alternative, Supreme Gleaners are welcome to use their own car to pick up equipment and deliver fruit to our partner agencies.
- A steady supply of fruit and your chance to pick it throughout the season (think cherries, berries, apples, plums, and more!)
- Picks scheduled according to your availability
- A chance to build community, and contribute to food security and environmental sustainability
- The opportunity to ride in style using one of our fancy cargo bikes
- Toronto’s love and affection (except maybe from the squirrels and raccoons!)
New to fruit picking? No problem! All Supreme Gleaners attend a training session. Training sessions will be held in June and July.
Please note: Currently, we are only accepting applications from Supreme Gleaners 18 years of age and older. However, if you are under 18, we would still love for you to join us as a fruit picking volunteer!