The end of winter is near and Not Far From The Tree is ready for the iconic food of the season: maple syrup!
Not Far From The Tree is pleased to announce the launch of our urban maple syrup program, Syrup in the City, after a successful pilot program last year. This year, with the support of Live Green Toronto, we are able to offer the unique experience of tree tapping and sap collecting to your own home. That’s right – we’ll help you make maple syrup from the maple tree in your yard!
Perfect for adults and kids alike, Syrup in the City is a way for you and your tree to have an urban food adventure this winter. It’s easy to participate by purchasing a Syrup in the City kit that will include the materials, resources, and expert assistance to make maple syrup from your very own tree. For $50, you receive:
• The supplies and equipment needed to tap your tree
• Assistance in tapping your tree from a team of specially-trained volunteers and staff
• Ability to participate in our boil-down day on Saturday, March 12th as we magically transform sap into syrup. You can donate some (or all) of your sap at a time that is convenient for you
• An invitation to participate in the community sugaring off on Sunday, March 13th, where you’ll have special opportunities to participate and taste the syrup from your tree
• An educational field guide to your maple tree filled with information about trees, sap, maple syrup, and the urban forest
• Instructions on how to keep watch over your sap collection, and a chart to keep track of how much you produce
• Maple syrup recipes from top Toronto chefs and cookbook authors
• Special discounts
We know that many people are keen to try and make maple syrup from their own trees, so we’re offering this fun program as a means to lend our expertise and collective effort to the task.
To sign up for the program, you first must register your maple tree with us. Because of strict municipal bylaws that help ensure that our urban forest is healthy for generations to come, we will only tap trees that we can ensure are healthy and located on private property. Our online form will help you figure out if your tree is eligible for the program.
Kits are available for only $50. For more information, check out the registration form or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 647.774.PICK (7425).
Do you know somebody who’d be interested in this program? Feel free to share word of this program with them or consider giving them a Syrup in the City kit as a gift. You may also be interested in our fantastic Syrup in the City T-shirts, available for sale online at our online store.