Do you live, work or play in Ward 19, 21, 29 or 30?
Love trees and meeting new people?
You may be just ripe for our volunteer Tree Captain team!
Tree Captains are volunteers who monitor registered fruit trees, and schedule and lead fruit picks in designated neighbourhoods. Last year we successfully ran the program in Ward 30, and this year we’re excited to announce our expansion to Wards 19, 21, and 29! This expansion has been made possible thanks to generous support from the Ontario Trillium Foundation.
- Live, work or play in Ward 19, 21, 29 or 30 (Not sure where that is? Scroll down to look at a map)
- Comfortable taking on a leadership role and reaching out to new people
- Friendly with a positive attitude
- Reliable and responsible
- Comfortable riding a bike** in the city and working in the great outdoors
- Attend a Tree Captain training session to learn about local fruit ripening patterns and leading fruit picks
- Sign up for a specific zone within your Ward (e.g., a street or a block)
- Check in with registered fruit tree owners in your zone to monitor fruit ripeness (4 to 10 trees per captain – depending on what you can commit to)
- Schedule and lead fruit picks for trees in your zone**
Note: Leading a fruit pick involves transporting equipment and fruit with one of our fancy cargo bikes, and takes about 3.5 to 4 hours from start to finish.
- A steady supply of fruit and your chance to pick it throughout the season
- Fruit picks scheduled according to your availability
- A chance to build community, and contribute to food security and environmental sustainability in your own neighbourhood
- The opportunity to ride in style using one of our fancy cargo bikes**
- Toronto’s love and affection (except maybe from the squirrels and raccoons)
To apply: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following:
- Your name, email and phone number
- Which Ward(s) you would be interested in volunteering in
- Why you would be a great Tree Captain
- Your general availability: weekdays, weekends and/or evenings
Please note: Currently, we are only accepting applications from Tree Captains 18 years of age and older. However, if you are under 18, we would still love for you to join us as a fruit picking volunteer!
**Are you interested in being a Tree Captain, but aren’t keen on biking or leading picks? Please apply and include a brief note to let us know.
If you don’t have a connection to any of the pilot Wards but still want to take on a leadership role, you may be interested in being a Supreme Gleaner!
Ward 19 Trinity-Spadina (full profile)
Ward 21 St. Paul’s (full profile)
Ward 29 Toronto-Danforth (full profile)
Ward 30 Toronto-Danforth (full profile)