Full-time, 5 days a week
One Year, with possibility of extension
Start Date: April 2015
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Salary: $50,000 – $60,000, dep. on experience, plus vacation and benefits
Applications Due: February 28, 2015
Not Far From The Tree, a project of Tides Canada Initiatives Society, puts Toronto’s abundance of local fruit to good use by picking and sharing the bounty. Founded in 2008, Not Far From The Tree aims to build community, foster environmental sustainability and enable equitable access to an existing supply of nutritious, local food.
We are seeking an inspiring and dedicated professional to fill the position of Project Director. The successful candidate is passionate about the work, is a skilled and determined fundraiser and has the leadership capacity to take the project through its next phase of development.
The Project Director is the primary leadership position of Not Far From The Tree’s staff team and reports to the Steering Committee while working in conjunction with the Tides Canada Initiatives (TCI) support team.
Leadership, Vision, and Management
- Work closely with the Steering Committee to set strategic direction
- Maintain strategic focus in alignment with the project’s mission
- Implement all project activities included in the annual Operating Plan
- Strengthen operations with the intention of scaling the project for increased impact
- Establish and uphold a safe, open, productive and healthy work environment
- Ensure that the project’s activities comply with the project’s description and all policies and procedures of Tides Canada Initiatives
- Liaise with TCI support team to ensure effective operations
- Work with TCI HR to manage Not Far From The Tree’s human resources (including HR oversight, vacation tracking, ensuring adherence to workplans and administering performance evaluations)
Fundraising and Income Diversification
- Implement existing Fundraising Plan which includes managing institutional, corporate, and individual fundraising as well as major gifts and events
- Build and support the project’s fundraising capacity on an ongoing basis
- Create a new three-year fundraising and income diversification plan
- Continually monitor, evaluate and report on fundraising against targets
- Maintain excellent relationships with funders and donors and implement stewardship and recognition plans
- Ensure the timely implementation of, and reporting on, funder deliverables
- Manage fiscal health of the project including budgeting, setting and following financial controls, meeting revenue and expense targets and ensuring accurate and timely reporting to funders, the Steering Committee and support team
- Liaise with staff, contractors and others to ensure proper financial management and budgeting throughout operations
- Prepare an annual budget and monitor budgetary expenditures and limits
- Review all invoices and expense reports and ensure all appropriate supporting documents arrive at accounting per the agreed schedule
- Review the monthly financial statements with the steering committee
- Along with support team, monitor compliance with the three-month reserve policy
Communications and Community Relations
- Act as the primary spokesperson for the project (e.g., with media, at speaking events)
- Oversee the development of public communication materials (e.g., annual report, website content, social media)
- Maintain excellent relationships with community partners and forge new relationships that advance Not Far From The Tree’s mission
- Minimum 5 years of results-oriented management experience in the charitable sector
- Minimum 5 years’ experience managing a staff team
- Demonstrated capacity for fund development, including but not limited to institutional giving, corporate sponsorship and fundraising, individual giving, leadership and major gifts
- Experience with strategic planning and organizational goal setting
- Experience with project management, managing budgets, program planning, and evaluation;
- Compelling communication skills combined with demonstrated networking and partnership-development skills
- Demonstrated creativity, innovation and agility to solve challenges that arise in an entrepreneurial environment
- Strong knowledge of the issues addressed by Not Far From The Tree’s programs, including food systems, community development, urbanism, and/or sustainability
- Commitment to Not Far From The Tree’s creative and community-minded approach;
- Exceptional organizational, managerial and interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with Not Far From The Tree’s stakeholders and community an asset
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com by February 28th, 2015. All attachments must each be labeled with the applicant’s full name. In your cover letter, please help us understand why you’re the ideal candidate by addressing the following questions:
1. What interests you most about this position?
2. Based on the qualifications, why are you a strong candidate?
3. Briefly tell us about your current/most recent job. Why are you looking for a change?
4. What is your most significant professional achievement to date?
Not Far From The Tree is a project of Tides Canada Initiatives Society and the selected candidate will become an employee of TCI. For more information, please go to http://tidescanada.org/support/not-far-from-the-tree/
Our sincere appreciation to all those expressing interest in the position, however, only those applicants invited for an interview will be contacted.
No recruiters, please.