We’re recruiting for our lead picking volunteers: Supreme Gleaners!
Position Summary: Supreme Gleaners are specially-trained volunteers who go the extra mile to make the fruit harvest happen by leading picks and transporting fruit and equipment by cargo bike.
- Lead fruit picks during Toronto’s fruit harvest season (runs from June to October).
- For each pick, you will:
- pick up a cargo bike and equipment from a neighbourhood storage hub;
- bike to a fruit tree within the same neighbourhood;
- greet volunteers and lead the pick, keeping things friendly and safe; and
- deliver fruit to a nearby partner agency and return equipment to storage.
- Note: our fruit picks last up to 2 hours each and the Supreme Gleaner shift is usually 3.5-4 hours
- Friendly and comfortable in a leadership role
- Reliable and responsible
- Comfortable riding a bike in the city
- A steady supply of fruit and your chance to pick it throughout the season (think cherries, berries, apples, plums, and more!)
- Picks scheduled according to your availability
- A chance to build community, and contribute to food security and environment sustainability
- The opportunity to ride in style using one of our fancy cargo bikes
- Toronto’s love and affection (except maybe from the squirrels and raccoons!)
To apply: Email email@example.com by May 8th, and include the following:
- Your name, email and phone number
- Why you would make a great Supreme Gleaner
- Whether you can commit to leading four or more picks during the summer and/or fall
New to fruit picking and cargo bike riding? No problem! All Supreme Gleaners will attend a training session. Training session will be held in late May and early June.